Lindau, Germany

Lindau, Germany
Vanessa and I at the Bodensee in Lindau, Germany

Tuesday, February 8, 2011

Why himmelblick?

Himmelblick means sky view or, more to the point of my choice of this name, heaven view.  I find myself seeing this world with a view toward heaven a lot these days.  Let me explain.  A few months ago, after some six weeks of not feeling quite right physically, I was diagnosed with pancreatic cancer.  This really rocked my world, but as I came to a resolution of this new reality, I started to operate in this world with a real sense of what comes next--thus a himmelblick.  Now I don't plan on leaving this world soon, but my perspective of the brevity of our current physical life on planet Earth, whether it is 25 or 125 years, and the eternal nature of the next world is constantly at the forefront of my thinking and decision making.  For this blessing in perspective I am grateful.  

This all means that I now want to live my life in a fashion that has eternal impact and meaning, a heavenly viewpoint; not storing for me treasures in this life, but laying up for myself treasures in heaven for there is where my heart will be also, as Jesus said.  So thus my heart is now set.  I desire to love better, to listen with intent, and to look with wonderment. Wishing to engage those that God places in the path of my life not so much with a temporal disposition, but with an eternal one is my desire. 

So--himmelblick.  Maybe this short rambling is somewhat explicative of the reason for my choosing this word.  I feel like a ship that is sailing on current that is not of its choosing, that has steered it off its intended course. I am choosing to engage in this adventure fully and with joy, knowing where it is taking me ultimately, whether that is in a couple of years or 30 years.

This  blog is intended to update, for my family and friends, this adventure.  So I say bon voyage Eddie.

6 comments:

  1. Eddie, I'm looking forward to hearing your thoughts and insights. - Mike

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Eddie, I love this. It is amazing how inspiring your adventure will be for all those who read it! Thanks for writing!!!
    I love you!
    Love, Peggy

    ReplyDelete
  3. Eddie, we love you and believe in you. Thanks for making us a part of this. You're the best and in our prayers everyday! Hugs to everyone, Joe, Melanie, Paddy, Nora & Libby

    ReplyDelete
  4. You know we love you & we are family. The journey we have had & continue to have has inspired me! Love you lots!EJ & Bobbi

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey there buddie!!! I love this blog...and send you thanks for your wisdom and bravery! The insight you have will reach many...how lucky we are that you share this journey with us. We love you!!!! deb & craig

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a beautiful post. What a beautiful himmelblick! I am so blessed to read it and be touched by your heart's trust in our great God. I pray for you and Vanessa often. I hope this blog is something you love and that it blesses you to write. It blesses us to read.

    ReplyDelete